Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Wandering Stars

Sneaking a beer with my PC girls when we were supposed to be in class- Opps.
Ashleigh and I:

Kate and Teri:

July 25, 2008

The stars here look different than they do in the states- they are somehow closer and brighter. The African night sky is beautiful. I have had a stabbing ache in my head that I am hoping stops soon. Today I wanted to go home. Sometimes, I forget that I live here. I forget that I would need to get on a plane to have a Starbucks Carmel Frappacino. (The food cravings have become bad and we perpetuate them by reminiscing about what American food tastes like- It is no wonder so many Americans are obese.) It seems unreal that Obama is still running for president, that celebrities are still filming movies, that people are still driving SUVs, taking hot showers and playing video games- when here I am. I thin k I have fallen into an alternate reality- I am off the map. But I still have the stars- they are brighter than before.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brienne,

cleaning dishes with dirt would take some getting used to. Just make sure it is really hot dirt I guess!

Love,

Jim

Mariel said...

Six Hershey Bars and some GREAT magazines are on their way to you from Cami and me!! WE LOVE YOU!!!!

Anonymous said...

Brienne,
I can't believe how amazing your stories are and how special all of these experiences are to ALL of us... takes my breath away! I'm sorry I haven't commented until now - AND I owe you a bunch of letters or emails... will be sending shortly. LOVE the washing with dirt!
xoxo!
Alex