Friday, July 11, 2008

One Month in Africa

So I have lived in Africa for a month now. I have done many things that are very minor in the scheme of things, but I am told it is important to celebrate even the most minor milestones:
1) I have spent an entire night awake by lantern light alone with a scorpion.
2) I have chased about 20 chickens out of my Kiswahili classroom
3) I have greeted and chatted with people in their native language
4) I have met the first person I know of who is living with AIDS. I shook his hand and told him in Kiswahili that I was glad of the awareness that he is helping to spread to his Tanzanian community.
5) I have hauled water to bathe with, cook with, drink with, etc.
6) I have done laundry... a lot of it, by hand.
7) I have the dirtiest feet and the longest leg hair I have ever seen on myself, (Yes this is an accomplishment).
8) Most nights, when the scorpion is not there, I live with 3 lizards and 2-6 cockroaches.
9) I have worn Tanzanian clothes and held Tanzanian children.
10) I still do not have mango flies, worms, cholera, malaria, amoebas, rashes, TB, or any other disease or parasite... That I know of...
11) I can understand some of and take part in Kiswahili conversations.
12) I have ridden in a landrover over crazy rough Tanzanian roads.
13) I have made over 45 new American friends and at least the many new Tanzanian ones.
14) The kids in my village have mostly stopped yelling "Mzungu" and now yell "Brie, Nipe Tano" ("Give me five")
15) I am still here
16) I live like an African... (Sort of.) I live with 12 Tanzanians, (This number sometimes fluctuates), and everyday there seems to be more similarities and less differences.
The biggest accomplishment was making it through my first night...
Dining under the stars with my family and a dozen neighbors, knowing no language, knowing no one. Sitting on the ground under the stars, eating rice out of the communal dish with my hands. Laughing and thinking here I am... These are my new friends, this is my new home.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello There Sweet Brie,

I look forward to reading your blog as it brings me back to reality. What accomplishments you have made in the 30 days you have lived in Africa. You will have enough experiences to write a book after your tenure.

If you can let me know if a collection of clothing would be acceptable to send. I would love to send you a package of USA stuff you have been missing.

I wish you peace, comfort and happiness always.
Love and kisses,
Janet

Bami said...

Brie,

You are awesome! A month packed full of new experiences. Wow! You have no idea how healing just your loving presence is to these people. Your family is reflecting the love that you are. I am so proud of you... Even with hair on your legs, HA!

I love you,

Bami

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I don't know you, but I spent a month in Tanzania last year. Reading your experiences brought me back to my own. Where in Tanzania are you living? I was in a small fishing village called Nyamisati, on the Rufiji Delta. I would love to talk with you about your experiences, and share my own! You can e-mail me at little_afrikaani_girl@yahoo.com. Look forward to hearing from you!

Melissa.