Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Mikumi National Park!

Not a great picture: But Hippos Me in front of the croc pool- Yipes!


Catherine and I making our "Safari Faces". A Note about Catherine: She is so much like my sister, Shannon, from looks, major, age, interests, etc. it is uncanny- she is awesome.

Zebra Love




My Ele-friend




Mikumi




July 20th, 2008
My First Safari! Yesterday, I woke up early to pack to take the bus to Mikumi National Park with the rest of the PCTs. We rode three hours along rough roads to the Genesis Motel in Mikumi. I was super excited to stay here as it would be my first shower in over a month (Cold water only, though) and they have electricity! We ate lunch and boarded the vehicles to head into the park. Before even entering, we saw a group of warthogs in the road. They were so funny running on their stubby little legs. The park is beautiful- savanna grasslands. There are hills in the distance framing the park. Shortly after entering, we saw a heard of impala and buffalo- it was amazing to see how fast the impala can run and jump. Not far away was the unmistakable silhouette of a giraffe. I have never thought much about giraffes before, but they are the most beautiful animals I have ever seen in life. Nothing is more breathtaking than a few giraffes moving across the savanna at sunset. We saw the elephants next- a big herd with babies. They were so content and I am thankful we still live in a world where a few of these gentle giants still roam free. Seeing them reminded me of all the pain we have caused these wonderful creatures. These elephants were so noble and wise seeming, I am embarrassed that the human race is taking so long in realizing the value of preserving our wildlife. Next we went to "The Hippo Pool"- they all pulled there heads out of the water when we arrived. There were about 12 of them and I was reminded of "Fantasia" when I saw the crocs in the pool and picturing them dancing together in tutus put a smile on my face. We watched the sunset over the beautiful hills and then headed back to the hotel.

We had a wonderful dinner of Tanzanian food and then had a toga party! This involved wrapping our Kangas ( colorful TZ fabric) around ourselves and dancing the night away. At 5 am we ate breakfast and were on the safari circuit by 6.30. When we got to the park the zebras were very active and playful, the wildebeest were on the move which made me very excited for their great migration later this year. The new addition to our animal list was a colony of baboons. They had babies on their backs are were up to mischief. I was very happy, but anyone who knows me knows I love cats best. And a big cat sighting in the wild would make my life. Unfortunately it was not to be realized on this trip. The giraffes and elephants were the high point and I will remember the way they looked at us for the rest of my life. I am so thankful to have been able to appreciate the diversity of our world.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Dear Brie, I feel your love for this beautiful planet and diverse people, including the furry and featherd and scaly ones. It brought a smile to my face as you mentioned those crocs and hippos, as I can see that dance too! I shared your birthday greetings with Sophie and Nicole, and will read your safari blog note on that and all of the other "G"-rated ones. You are an incredible writer, and such an incredible loving person. I share your love and appreciation for this beautiful planet!! You are truly an inspiration! Love Aunt Lori