Sunday, July 6, 2008

Fourth of July

The crew getting ready for Fourth of July Festivities

National Anthem Sing Along
Greta and Meesh Mary, Me and Catherine Showing off Choo Position
Happy Fourth of July!
Today was especially hard for us, Peace Corps Trainees (PCTs). We did have some fun though, we got out of school early to meet everyone at a field- the Tanzanian staff with Meesh's assistance had organized a field day for us. We were split into random teams to do some sporting events. We have been sitting in classes so much we were itching to do something. First we started with an interesting rendition of the National Anthem. Imagine 50 Americans singing at the top of their lungs in English in a remote village in the middle of Tanzania. While we did it and we attracted quite the crowd. John, our Tanzanian Training Manager, even managed to find a U.S. flag.
Next we began the relay race. This was hilarious- of course we did in in TZ style . We were to hold a brown egg, spin around 6 times, throw a Frisbee to the rest of our team, then dress in two Kangas (Colorful pieces of TZ fabric) , a hat and then with a bucket of water on our head, run backwards across the field to the rest of our team, where they would remove the clothing, pass the egg and dress the next person. The Tanzanian staff (about 20 people) were on our teams also, they thought this was so funny.
Next my team played Volleyball-- we even had a net! I don't know how many years it has been for me since I played- but i was surprisingly really good and still had an overhand serve! Next we played ultimate Frisbee, followed by football, (really soccer). It was fun to get some cardio although we were drenched with sweat. This was the area the Tanzanians really excelled in and they were super competitive! Then we had a tug of war match Americans vs. Tanzanians. Well, the rope was bad and split in the middle so everyone ended up on the ground. It seemed to us a pretty good metaphor for our PC experience so far; we are pulling back toward our roots and home while Tanzania is pulling us forward. We are split somewhere in the middle. The day was fun and it was funny to have so many African children cheering us on, but it was a weird fourth of July. One where I couldn't help but miss the cool water of an Oregon river, fireworks, my mom's potato salad, Camping- the smell of the woods in the sun... It is exhausting here- the language, trying to take everything in, and then my own processing of it all.
However, when I look at my African Family today they don't seem that different than me. My Teacher met with them yesterday to see how things were going, and she told me that they told her that they love me and that I am their family- this makes me want to cry. How is it possible that people with so little are so generous. Yet, here I am part of their family. It is wonderful to be accepted by them. Us, PCTs, have a joke when we wake up we text each other "P.S. You live in AFRICA". As if we needed the constant reminder, it is still so unreal.

No comments: