Friday, July 24, 2009

You Can Help

"Make altruism and giving part of your life, and be purposeful about it. Researcher Stephan Post says helping a neighbor, volunteering, or donating goods and services results in a "helper's high" and you get more health benefits than you would from exercise or quitting smoking. Researcher Elizabeth Dunn found that those who spend money on others reported much greater happiness than those who spend it on themselves."
-Psychology Magazine, on the key to happiness

I realize that right now America is going through a financial crisis and most people are struggling with money. Our economic problems have been difficult to explain to Africans. There is no need to feel guilty over their lack. Tanzanians are happy people and used to their lives. However, I am here to try to help my own little Tanzanian village who is in great need. Despite your feeling of having nothing I would encourage you to think about what you do really have that you could offer. Tanzanians are special people and worth helping- please read my blog or email me with questions- brienneblacklidge@gmail.com.

Here is what you could do:

1) I need MONEY- if everyone I know just gave $5, Image Village would be completely transformed. The money is primarily going to build a latrine for the primary school girls. Inside will be girls empowerment messages, AIDS education messages and a sign with those peoples names who donated for the project. Also needed is funds to do AIDS testing, bee-keeping training, etc. If you, or your business or someone you know can give money please do! I can supply you with picture and statements of where your funds went.

2) I need CONDOMS- Anyone working in the health sector that could supply me with some free condoms would be great.

3) I need a NIKE CONNECTION- Mercy Corps partners with Nike to do AIDS education through soccer in Sudan. I want to copy this program on a smaller scale. We already have six teams of young boys and fields but we have no balls. Village women will be able to sell their goods at the games. Do you have a connection with Nike where I could receive balls for free or a discounted price? (I went to UofO, am from PDX, worked for Mercy Corps, am working in Africa... I think Phil Knight should help me out a little bit... don't you?) Any other sports gear would also be appreciated.

4) Any small inexpensive toys: Stickers, jump ropes, little cars, plastic jewelry, pencils, etc- gifts and prizes for children. Nothing too nice or high tech. Remember they have next to nothing.

Please email me if you are interested in helping Image Village in any capacity (monetary is preferred) There is also a village video, not posted online for my own privacy. Get your children involved! Giving is something that should be instilled in us all.

Thank you for your generosity,

Brie and Image Village

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I would love to contribute to the prizes/gifts for the children. I will ship a box of toys whenever you tell me to.

You have such a sweet and giving heart my dear Brie!

See you shortly in Oregon for your baby sister's wedding! Can't wait to see you.
Janet

Bami said...

I will help your village too! Let's organize while you're here and start a group called "Adopt Brie's Village" (instead of Adopt a Highway) You're not alone. We can make it better. Just tell us what to do and when. What is the best way to send money? Cashiers check or ??? Can't wait to see you! Bami