Friday, July 24, 2009

Going Home

"Although I've travelled far, I always hold a place for you in my heart. If you think of me, if you miss me once in a while, than I'll return to you, I'll return and fill that place in your heart."

July 24, 2009

This is going to be my last blog entry for a while. I am boarding a plane in a few days for America. This is pretty surreal.

Yesterday I had to say good-bye to my village. I am still processing in my head what happened. Margaret came to my site to visit me. Around two pm the village government came to my house to tell me that today is Siku Kuu Kwa Brie (A Holiday for Brie). The entire village government, my friends, my teachers were all gathered. There was drumming, dancing, and even a song where the main chorus was "Tunakupenda Brie Kwa Kweli" (We love you, Brie, truly.) I was pretty much in shock this whole time. Almost everyone made a speech telling me how much thy love me, greeting my family in America, and wishing me a safe journey. They have a strong fear I will not return. I made a tearful speech thanking them for becoming my family. They wrapped me in traditional cloth which later I used to carry Anna on my back while we danced. Food had been made and decorations put up, including a sign that said "Brie Fill at Home" They meant "Feel". I am not sure anyone has ever done anything more touching for me. The party continued at the bar and the whole time I was just in shock at why they love me so much and why I love them so much. Why they now are everything to me. I can barely speak to them, I am helpless, spoiled and different. Yet somehow watching the faces of the people I have known for only a year, I felt afraid to leave the security of them, my beautiful loving African family who somehow, despite the fact that everyday I miss my American family, stole a place in my heart.

3 comments:

mom said...

Have a great trip home.Enjoy each moment and then back for an amazing second year. Stay safe. Carol

Margaret said...

I'm going to miss you lady friend! Have a safe trip and don't forget to come back! (Sorry Brie's family , I know you love her, but I need her here). Until then, Tanzania waits for you. Amani na upendo

maxwell said...

Brie rocks! Your awsome I can't imagine the exserience you are recieveing in Tanzinia. That is awsome.