Friday, September 5, 2008

Hmmm...

Me, Lindsey and Krissy at our family's going away party for us.
Me, Mwanne and Anna
My host family's living room:
Simba, enjoying his new car

Iddy and Michael, showing off their new toys
Mama, me and Mwanne
My Mama, Anna, and I

Mama Anna, My 20 year old neighbor and possibly one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen.
My Mama, Anna, and Mwanne


Thanks for all the email, guys. I got many "Are you still alive emails!?!" I think even though I am very behind in blogging I will start from the beginning again. It has been a ride...

August 19, 2008

My last week with my host family- I fully threw myself even more into Tanzanian life than ever before. I even started getting up at 4.30 in the morning to mop the floors with my dadas and then do the 5 am Muslim prayer. I will never forget the fear I felt when I first saw the red house at the end of the dirt lane- now when I come home to that house, it really feels like coming home. After I returned from being away at shadow for a week and a half- my siblings ran out into the yard and I was embraced with hugs like I had been gone for years. I pictured for a moment coming up the Mossy Brae hill to another very familiar red house- the one I grew up in, and having my American siblings greet me in the yard. That will be a happy day.

My last day with the family I gave them the gifts that my mom had sent from America. Bahati and Mwanne loved the nail polish and I have never seen a smile as big as Rasheedy's when he got a "real" soccer ball. Iddy, Simba and Michael drove their little cars and motorcycles around all day and Iddy even fell asleep with it in his hand.

We went visiting all of the neighbors that I had come to know and I felt very confident chatting with bibis (Grandmothers- although they are really only about as old as my mom, but look three times her age- bibis have a very unique persona that I should probably dedicate an entire blog entry to...) I was even given a baby that was a few hours old to hold. Her name is Simaya, her mother is 15. I felt so happy and lucky to be holding this newborn child. Walking home that evening in the dark with my mama and sisters holding my hands and laughing, I wished my mother and sisters from America were with us as well- I feel so grateful to be on the other side of the world and still have strong, beautiful women holding my hands- being here is not so very different at times.

1 comment:

Becca said...

Brie, I love reading your blog. I check it constantly and am always really eager to read the updates. You always give me things to think about and your stories impact my days here. This posting in particular was especially moving. I am so glad you are having such an incredible experience. Many many blessings and much love to you. We miss you.