Monday, October 5, 2009

Goals

September 26, 2009

"Just like a butterfly, I too, will awaken in my own time." -Deborah Chaskin

After Mid-Service Conference it is hard to believe that I will probably not be in Tanzania a year from now. Surprisingly, that scares me. When I return to America, I will have nothing, no money, no job, no house, no car and a few possessions... When I tell this to my Dad and say, "What should I do?" He says, "Play it by ear, some opportunity will present itself." This is one of the things I love about my parents- There are no "shoulds", "you have tos", or really direction of any kind besides, do what makes you happy. I remember fretting over my major in college and looking for my parents to direct me. There wasn't any direction besides pick something you are interested in and finish it. So my Humanities/Art History major with an ancient Greek life and culture emphasis, was not met with "What kind of job is that going to get you?" When I decided to go live in Africa for two years, there was no "Why would you do that?" When I was home and said that I was thinking about documentary film-making- they said, "That sounds interesting." It is not that my parents are uninterested in my choices, maybe it is that they know me so well that I can never surprise them. I just hope to become a parent like they are, where it is okay to let your child trip, stumble and sometimes fall, but to be their own person.

I have a million goals in this life, but none of them really lead to anything besides making my life more interesting. I found my "Life To Do List" in one of my old journals. I have added to it a bit, but thought I would post it to give me some direction. If you want to help or embark on any of these adventures then Karibu! (You are welcome to).

Brie's Life List:
-Visit every continent
-Hike the Pacific Crest Trail
-Join the Peace Corps (Joining was not the difficult part- 2 years in Tanzania is...)
-Get a Master's Degree
-Complete a Triathlon
-Write a book
-Learn how to rock climb
-Have a garden
-Sail around the Greek Islands
-Learn another language- Check. Not that my Kiswahili is entirely amazing, but it is as good as it is gonna get...
-Write family history/family tree
-Buy and use a kayak
-Learn how to knit and actually finish something
-Learn how to play the guitar
-Go on a long horseback adventure
-Have a child
-Learn about herbal medicine
-Live in the middle of nowhere/ live in the middle of somewhere (Former- check)
-Advocate for women/children and animal's rights
-Drive the East Coast- Canada to Florida
-Go on a yoga/health retreat
-Learn how to scuba dive
-Boat trip down the Amazon River
-Learn how to meditate
-Be less cluttered and messy (Yeah, right... Sorry, Mom.)
-Learn how to drive a motorcycle
-Make a Documentary Film
-Learn how to read Tarot Cards better
-Live as self-sufficiently as possible- grow own food, use minimal water/electricity, make soap and candles...
-Learn how to find happiness and contentment within myself no matter where I am or what I am doing.
-Tell people "I Love them" (Nawapenda) more often.

Does this add up to a job? I think not. Does this add up to a good life for me? I think so.

1 comment:

mom said...

Some people have no goals, so I think your list sounds ..One at a time. You have your entire life to get it done. Be safe. Thinking of all you girls all the time.Maybe I should get a new goal list for me and dwell less on all of you. Hugs