Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Book of the Month: November

November's Book is :
"Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" By Jonathan Safran Foer (He's the one who wrote "Everything is Illuminated" which was also a great book.)

Through the eyes of an incredibly precocious and extremely funny nine-year-old narrator, Jonathan Safran Foer tells a story of the effects of death on Oskar Schell and his family. Oskar's father was killed in the Twin Towers terrorist attack. Oskar's grandparents witnessed similar terrorists' attacks during World War II. The consequences of these horrid deaths have marked the psyches of the main characters in Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close in different, but equally painful ways.

Totally uniquely and beautifully written. Don't let the 9/11 stuff fool you, this book has a lot more substance to it. I loved loved it. It is eye opening and not depressing like it sounds.

Dad- You have to read this book. It talks about the things we always think about...

Other books I really liked this month:

"Eyes, Breathe, Memory" By Eldwidge Danticat. Super intense, but detailed novel about the lives of Haitian women.

"My Sister's Keeper" By Jodi Picoult. Think a lot of people have probably read this, but I had not. Tear-jerker. Made me realize that I would give any part of my body if it meant saving either of my sisters' lives, and hopefully will never have to.

No comments: