Friday, March 6, 2009

Announcements

Announcements: Please please send me pictures. My picture wall is in full swing. My sister, Shannon, wins the award for appearing in the most pictures so far. (That is right, I have had time to count.) However, most of them are from her graduation, causing my villagers to ask me why she always wears that hat... haha. She is closely followed by my other siblings. Anyways, I want a picture of you, so send it.

Also, when I run out of things to say at the primary school it turns into a cross cultural America class where the kids want to know what America is like. They know nothing about it. I brought in a world map and they could not find the U.S. or Tanzania, for that matter, on the map. Geography is not really taught. They are interested in everything about America and the world. Americans can help me by sending pictures of American stuff- maybe the classroom where your kids go to school, a city, an American farm, what your house looks like... etc. Or send music, burned DVDs of child appropriate videos, postcards, anything that you think might represent America. It is best if things are coming from different states, so that they can see that America is diverse. The adults are curious too, just today my driver asked me if the roads in America are the same as Tanzania. (Answer: no, in TZ you drive on a road that is the equivalent of a slip 'n slide made of mud, in America we drive on pavement.) I get many questions about if there are black Americans and how many. If there is poverty in America and what it looks like. Also I was asked to tell the life story of MLK Jr. These are the types of things they want to know. A map of America would be nice to get, as well. Even a picture of a washing machine or a mop, they don't understand how we use machines for household work. I am hoping to start the kids on a pen pal exchange with my sister's class in America, but it is not going yet. So if you would like to write a letter to the students as a whole I can translate that and read it to them, and there is a possibility that we can write back. The objective of this is not to rub in what luxuries Americans have, so if I can do that while still remaining honest then that would be good. I do not want them to think that life is perfect in America and all Americans are rich. (Although comparatively, be thankful!)

I have been getting lots of email about what to send me. You are all so generous. I don't really need anything, but it is always great to get packages.
I like to get magazines of all kinds. Our NEWSWEEK subscription to PCVs has been cut due to budget cuts to PC. I like to get: Rollingstone, Time, Newsweek, National Geographic, People & other entertainment mags. Any are great to get!
Granola or Luna Bars or any "Fast Food' where cooking is not required. TZ has basically no snack food.
Crystal Light or anything to flavor water. It is nice to have variety and get that boiled charcoal taste out of the water.
Any beauty supplies- face wash, chapstick, lotions, cover-up... etc. My Aunts and Mom have been good about keeping me covered with this stuff so far. Thanks Jaime, Noreen and Mom!
Whatever else...

Lastly, I want a parachute. I know. I am not sure how to construct one. They are always so fun when you are little to dance with and play under. Any ideas on how to make one?

There is a small possibility that I will get to visit the States in August. My parents and I are hoping to scrap together the money. So hopefully, I will be in Oregon again soon. Miss and love you, Family and Friends.

1 comment:

mom said...

What fun it was today to talk to you and all your friends. We can't wait to meet Kate's new family of BFF.The party sounded like it was rockin..Take care. I love reading your blogs. Make a difference. Hugs to my Kate..Carol