Monday, February 16, 2009

I Get Sick... Again

Note: This entry contains some graphic or maybe just gross content...

February 6, 2009

Life in Tanzania is a wild. I start to feel a bit under the weather and figure I am getting the flu. I have a bit of the runs, a fever and an all around yucky feeling. So I head into town and meet up with two of my friends from my group, Sarah and Katelyn. Did I eat something bad? Drink bad water? Who knows. There are so many sicknesses here it is impossible to trace. That night at the hotel I just get worse, the other PCVs begin to worry, as I explain to them that when I am not horizontal black liquid runs out of my body. I text Adina who I am supposed to hang out with the next day anyways. She insits that she take me to the hospital, despite the fact that i say it will just pass and I will be fine. So The next day she picks me up in her truck and drives me to the Njombe Hospital. I could not have been happier to have her there, because, honestly, I was a bit afraid to go to my first hospital in Tanzania and when your best friend in the country is fluent in Swahili and assures you that things will turn out fine going feels a bit easier. Plus she knows everyone at the hospital, when I ask why, she says they have to go all the time. When her Dad broke his leg, when she broke her foot or how weak she was here with typhoid, or when her son had malaria... geez. So I am happy to have her hold my hand through the whole process.

The doctor wants a stool sample and a malaria test. Malaria comes back negative, and the stool sample comes back with no amebas, worms or giardia. So good, I think, it is nothing. Until he says that what is pouring out of my body is dark beacuse of dried blood from my stomach...(sorry, gross I know.) So he concludes it is some kind of stomach infection. He gives me oral rehydration salts, pain killers (My stomach felt horribly cramped), antibiotics and some sort of medication that basically kills everything that living in your stomach. Then it was back to Flower Farm for some R & R. I cannot express enough the kindness of Zummi and Adina. Who were generous with their down comforter, amazing pumpkin ginger soup, guest room and toilet paper supply. Gradually after a few movie nights I started to feel a bit better.

Now I am in town and headed back to village. Feeling better, so worry not. Thank you for all my Christmas care packages that I am just getting now... I am sending my love.

1 comment:

mom said...

Hope you are feeling better. You need some good old fashion chicken soup. It cures everything. Hope you are back to normal.As always, when you see my Kate,give her a big hug from her Momma. Carol Glantz