Friday, May 8, 2009

Welcome to Image Village Part Moja

Thanks to my parents and sisters, I now have a camera! Thank you, best birthday present ever! Here is a preliminary introduction to some people in my village. It is important to remember that unlike Americans, many Tanzanians may have never seen a camera, and certainly have not had one pushed in their face since the time of their birth. So when I show up as the first white person, and now, a year into our relationship, start flashing pictures there is some surprises. I am hoping the more familiar they get with the camera being around the better the pictures will get (Also have to get familiar with a new camera!) So enjoy.

"To the people of poor nations, we pledge to work alongside you to make your farms flourish and let clean waters flow; to nourish starved bodies and feed hungry minds. And to those nations like ours that enjoy relative plenty, we say we can no longer afford indifference to suffering outside our borders; nor can we consume the world's resources without regard to effect. For the world has changed and we must change with it."
-President Obama

Kijijini Image (Ee-Ma-Gay)


Juster and my cat, Kimulimuli (Firefly)

Kimulimuli, also known as Batratcat or the holy terror. The most pathetic animal. It is a miracle his mouth is not open in this picture.

Mama Anna and Anna

Aggy, one of my primary school girls, doing what they do best: working

Mama Lau (Mwalimu Vaking) holding a chicken

Juster, dancing in front of the row of teacher's houses

Anna, looking mischevious



The most beautiful child


Anna, being serious

Anna and I


Anna, my village child


Mama Mary working at our village sewing machine

Main road in Image: What we do? Watch the corn grow... Exciting life.

My Little Sis, Mary

Me and my village Mama (Mama Mary, also known as Mama Brie, even though she is barely older than me...)


Kids doing what they do best in Africa: Sitting in the dirt

My Family: Mary (age 6, in purple), Anna (age 2, in yellow), random baby someone gave me (age brand new) and me.



Worried-looking, but beautiful child

Boy chewing grass


A Friend

One of my Mama's working on the shamba (farm)

One of my Village Mama's planting potatoes


A mama clearing for planting

Two of my Mama friend's hard at work

Average house in my village in Tanzania: 1-2 rooms, made of brick with grass roof, person count 6-12, chicken count 15, spider count 243 and rising...
Lau, Age 4, Son of Mwalimu Simon and Mwalimu Vakinga, Leader of the "Lost Boys"


Anna's foot and my hand Image Primary School: Part of my Darasa Sita Class
Shule

Little bit of life in Primary School


Over my fence and into my village...

View off my back porch into Mlangali part of Image


My back porch. First door on the left goes into my bathing room, second door into my "kitchen", both windows look into my living room. The nicest house in my village- also known as Nyumba Kwa Brie


My front porch looking out over the ravine into another part of the village. Me at home












































































































































































































































































































































































































































2 comments:

mom said...

Loved seeing all the pictures. It lets all your friends and family see what you usually describe. Great..Give my Kate a big hug..Can't wait to do it myself next month.

Kelli said...

Brie:

I found your blog last week and read the whole thing over the course of a few days. I am so impressed by your strength and am fascinated by your PCV service. I especially enjoyed the pictures in this last post; it was so nice to put faces with the names. Juster is beautiful and radiates happiness. Anna is one of the most beautiful children I have ever seen. You are lucky to be where you are doing what you are doing. Keep up the great posts!!

Kelli