Sunday, June 29, 2008

Dar es Salaam/Morrogoro



Okay, Still behind in the blog, but this is about my first week in Tanzania. We got here on what appeared to be June 12th, but it was sort of unclear after all that flying. We went from DC to Frankfurt to Zurich to Kenya to Dar. Our lay overs we very short so we had to run through every airport and getting 50 people through security in every airport was a challenge. Finally we landed in Dar at 8.00 PM. At the gate Ashleigh, Justin and I discovered that all of our luggage was still somewhere in route and so we had nothing for 2 days. Luckily the PC staff was there to greet us and got right on looking for which airport our belongings stayed at. Exhausted we boarded the bus to take us to the center that would be our home for the next three days. The bus ride was amazing, with everyone trying to catch glimpses of our new country. I saw people dancing in the street, women carrying items on their heads, music of all kinds. It is weird to get off an airplane and be in an entirely different reality. We got to the center and I roomed with Margaret, a laid back girl from Minnesota with an accent to match. We craweled under our mosquito net and wondered what adventures were in store for us. The next three days were spent entirely at the center, they wanted us to be safe so we were not allowed to leave the grounds. We met Peace Corps staff, had shots, talked about cultural differences, etc. The 2nd day in Dar I came down with a fever. It was bad around 101F. I sweated or shivered through every night. They made me see Edith our Tanzanian Med Officer, she told me it couldn't be Malaria yet and it was probably just a virus. I was better in after we got to Morrogoro. We took a beautiful bus ride there. Through wooded hills on rough dirt roads. Morrogoro is a smaller town where we again stayed at a center and began our intensive Kiswahili lessons. I took pictures of the mountains that I will try to post when I have a better connection. The first week in was nice to lay low an start to get into the swing of things.

No comments: